The Museum of Ceramics opened on April 30, 1980, and we are getting ready to celebrate our 35th Anniversary! Unfortunately, we are undergoing construction through May of 2015. We are so sorry for the inconvenience, but the good news is that when we reopen we will finally have air conditioning and an elevator and a fully accessible bathroom and more! We hope to see you at our grand reopening and 35th Anniversary Party sometime in the next few weeks!!!
The Museum of Ceramics contains thousands of examples of pottery created in and around East Liverpool, Ohio. During the 19th and 20th centuries, East Liverpool was known as the Pottery Capital of the USA.
1839: English potter James Bennett establishes first commercial pottery in East Liverpool, using local clay to produce yellow ware and Rockingham
1840: the first of the Harker potteries is established, which would continue to exist until 1972
1840s: influx of immigrants from Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent, England, to work in the potteries in East Liverpool
1847: Jabez Vodrey moves to East Liverpool
1870s: easy access to superior clay allows whiteware to become the main product of the East Liverpool potteries
1870: Knowles Taylor Knowles pottery is created
1870: population of East Liverpool is 2,000
1871: Homer Laughlin China Company is formed in East Liverpool by Homer and Shakespeare Laughlin
1880s: KT&K, with 29 kilns, is the largest pottery in the USA
1892: KT&K introduces Lotus Ware, the finest porcelain ever produced in the USA. Production ended in 1896
1893: Lotus Ware wins multiple awards at the World's Fair in Chicago
1900: East Liverpool is known as "America's Crockery City" and more than 90% of wage earners in the area are involved in the pottery industry
1903: Hall China Company is formed
1907: Homer Laughlin moves across the Ohio River to Newell, WV
1909: East Liverpool Post Office is built, later to become the Museum of Ceramics
1910: population of East Liverpool is 20,000
1910: Tariffs removed on foreign imported pottery, marks the beginning of the decline of East Liverpool pottery industry
1929: Great Depression forces the closure of dozens of potteries
1929: KT&K closes
1970s: William H. Vodrey III spearheads plan of creating a museum in East Liverpool devoted to the history of the ceramics industry
1976: The old post office, soon to be Museum of Ceramics, is placed on the National Register of Historic Places
1980: The Museum of Ceramics is open to the public
2000: population of East Liverpool is 13,089
2008: Ohio Historical Society cuts funding for the Museum of Ceramics by 93%, and the Museum of Ceramics Foundation takes over management of the museum
2009: Museum celebrates the 100th Anniversary of the construction of our building
2010: Hall China Co. merges with Homer Laughlin China Co.
2010: 30th Anniversary of the founding of the Museum of Ceramics!!!
2013-2015: Major renovation of Museum under "Access? All Right!" project
2015: 35th Anniversary of the founding of the Museum of Ceramics!!!
Tues - Fri 9:30am to 3:30pm Sat 9:30am -Noon Closed Sunday & Monday
Adults $6 and Students/Children $3
In 2008, the Museum of Ceramics lost almost all of its funding from the Ohio Historical Society. The Museum of Ceramics Foundation was immediately created to keep the museum open. Please consider making a donation today to enable the Museum of Ceramics to continue its work.
The Museum of Ceramics, 400 East Fifth Street, East Liverpool, Ohio 43920 Telephone: 330-386-6001 or 800-600-7180 ~ Email
The Museum of Ceramics Foundation is pleased to announce that by May 2015 we will welcome visitors to our new ACCESS? ALL RIGHT! addition, which will contain an elevator and an accessible restroom, after thirty-three years of only partial access. We will also have air conditioning in the entire building for the first time. Until the project is finished, there will be no wheelchair access into the museum. We apologize for this inconvenience, and look forward to welcoming you and your friends and family once we finish our project.